You will be aware that the Government have stated that outdoor swimming pools may be opened from 11 July.
Tollesbury Parish Council is taking the view that the village amenity pool is unique and very different from other outdoor pools such as lidos. They have controlled entry and staff and can create a timed entry system and put in a regular sanitising regime. We are conscious that this is a critical time for risk, as everything begins to open up and each organisation has to make its own decisions – we know that some other outdoor pools are not opening immediately for example.
- Having read the Government guidance, we consider that we are not in a position to safely fill the pool, use the beach, the benches and barbeques. The reasons for this are as follows:
- We have no way of controlling the numbers – we cannot operate a controlled or timed entry.
- We, therefore, cannot control safe distancing, particularly on the beach.
- For reasons of hygiene, we would normally provide a portable toilet. The Government’s guidance on this is that use of these should be kept to a minimum.
- We cannot operate an appropriate cleaning regime of either a toilet or the benches/seats.